visual manaserv configuration interface
Visual configuration interface
Setting up and administrating a Mana server is currently a task which requires to learn a lot of knowledge. To create a server with really basic gameplay, a server administrator has to know how to edit various XML files, learn the LUA scripting language and some basic SQL. To make the learning curve mre newbie-friendly and also allow seasoned system administrators to perform simple changes more quickly, we should start a new project to create a configuration tool for the Mana server with a graphical user interface as soon as the configuration files have reached a stable state.
The goal is that an inexperienced user is able to set up a basic game world without having to edit any XML or LUA code by hand.
- Remote-capable (run the GUI on a client machine)
- Capable of handling user with reduced privileges so that server admins can delegate tasks
- Can auto-generate updates on an update server
- Overview of server network and its status
- Basic Server, Network and database settings
- Remote starting, stopping and restarting of servers
GUI for viewing and manipulating the most important data in the database. Should hide the used database backend from the user.
- User accounts
- Global variables * …
- Viewing and manipulating gameplay-related settings in manaserv.xml
- Visual editor for configuration files like attributes.xml, equipment.xml, runes.xml and other gameplay configuration files.
- Edit News.txt file
- Edit MotD
- Make global announcements
- Schedule global announcements to be made at a later date or at regular intervals
- Create and administrate public chat channels
- Edit permission groups and their members
- Assign permission groups to players (promoting and demoting game masters)
- View GM transaction log
- Viewing, editing, creating and removing items from items.xml
- When removing an item, offer to also delete it from the inventory of every character in the database
- Cross-integration with monster and NPC components to control drops and shop prices.
- Viewing, editing, creating and removing monster types
- When removing a monster, offer to also remove any spawn areas with this monster on maps
- Assign maps to game servers
- Add, deactivate and remove maps
- Graphical “World Viewer” which auto-generates a world map from the warp connections defined in the map files.
- Show active and inactive player population in the world viewer (maybe even allow statistical analysis of map population?)
- Edit monster population and map properties
- Integration of Tiled for opening and editing map files
- Visual editor for simple shop NPCs
- Visual editor for NPC dialog trees which auto-generates LUA code
- Edit sourcecode of NPC scripts in an embedded text editor with syntax highlighting, syntax checking and auto completion for LUA (is there a usable 3rd party solution?)